Gim-gyeran-guk, an egg soup with seaweed, is very quick to cook especially if you are in a hurry to prepare a meal for the family.
A simple but well-balanced dish, it is a health dish that provides minerals from the seaweed and protein from the egg. To make it more tasty and delicious, you can add mushrooms or seafood such as shrimp, clams and mussels.
To cook the dish, you will need:
- 2 pieces egg
- 2 sheets seaweed
- 10g small green onion , cut into 1-cm long
- 20g onion, cut into thin strips
- 10g carrot, cut into thin strips
- 3 cups anchovy and kelp broth
For the seasonings :
- ½ tbsp clear soy sauce
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- a pinch of salt and black pepper powder to taste
- a few drops of sesame oil (optional)
To prepare the ingredients:
- Prepare the anchovy and kelp broth.
- Cut the vegetables.
- Beat the egg and add a pinch of salt.
- On heated pan, bake the seaweed without oil until it is dried well and then cut into 2-cm squares.
To cook the dish:
- Boil 3 cups of broth in a soup pot. When it boils, add the onion, carrot, minced garlic, and 1⁄2 tsp of clear soy sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes until cooked.
- Add the seaweed, drizzle the egg and put the green onion.
- Stir the egg slowly to have clear soup and let it simmer until egg is cooked.
- Lastly, add the few drops of sesame oil and a pinch of black pepper powder if desired.
(SEE NEXT POST FOR THE ANCHOVY AND KELP BROTH RECIPE)