Probably one of the most popular Korean dishes, bibimbab is a bowl of rice topped with various cooked vegetables, beef, fried egg and other garnishes. It is served with red chili paste and sesame oil, which should be mixed in thoroughly.
The name comes from two Korean words: bibim which means “mixing” and bap means “cooked rice.”
A healthy dish, it gives not only a harmonious color but also a well- balanced nutrition including carbohydrate, vitamin C and E, fiber and protein.
If you have any kind of vegetables, you can make your own bibimbap with vegetables and cooked rice serving with red pepper paste.
Bibimbap comes in different kinds: sanchae bibimbap, which is prepared using wild mountain vegetables; dolsot bibimbap, which is served in a stone hotpot; and, yangpun bibimbap, a rice meal for two in a large bowl.
To make bibimbap, you need:
- a bowl of cooked rice
- 60g zucchini , cut into thin strips (about 5cm long and 0.3cm thick)
- 50 g carrot, cut into thin strips (about 5cm long and 0.3cm thick)
- 40g onion, cut into thin strips
- 50g soybean sprout (you can substitute this with mung bean sprout)
- 40g beef, cut into thin strips (about 6cm long and 0.3cm thick)
- 1pc brown oak mushroom, cut into thin lengthwise strips
- 1piece egg, cooked in sunny side up or over well
- 2cups water, for blanching the bean sprout
For thee red pepper paste sauce, you need:
- 1 Tbsp red pepper paste
- 1/2tsp sugar,
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 1/4tsp soy sauce
For the beef and mushrom marinade, you need:
- ½ Tbsp soy sauce,
- ½ Tbsp cooking wine
- ½ tsp sugar,
- ½ tsp sesame oil,
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- Pinch of black pepper powder
For the preparation:
- Slice off the zucchini-skin lengthwise excluding the part of seed and slice it into strips.
- Wash and cut the ingredients (onion, carrot, mushroom, beef).
- Trim the end of soybean sprout.
- Blend the seasoning sauce and red pepper paste sauce.
- Marinate the beef and brown oak mushroom with half of seasoning sauce separately.
For the cooking directions:
- Blanch the bean sprout (or mung bean sprout) in boiling water for two minutes with a pinch of salt. Drain the water, rinse and marinate with 1/4 tsp of sesame oil and a pinch of salt.
- Pre-heat the pan and oil. Fry the egg sunny-side up or over well.
- Stir-fry the vegetables (zucchini, carrot, onion) with a pinch of salt separately.
- Stir-fry the brown oak mushroom and lastly stir-fry the marinated beef.
- Spread them on a big plate to cool.
- Place cooked ingredients on the top of rice in a bowl. Then, add the egg on the top.
- Serve with red pepper paste.